Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Weak. Weak, Weak, Weak!

It was a simple plan, calling only for a small dab of self-control. Start putting aside $100.00 per paycheck, and by Spring '07 I'd have a pile of cash to buy a 29er.

Well, the '06 Dos Niner frames were released and I said to myself, I said: "If I put the frame on the credit card, that should be OK as long as I purchase all the components according to plan." Out came the credit card.

So, I put aside my dough for a few weeks, and picked up a few parts - headset, seatpost, grips, cranks.

Well, I spotted the brakes I wanted for $170.00 less than MSRP for the pair and I said to myself, I said: "I can't pass up that deal!" So I got out the credit card.

By this time, the Spousal Unit has noticed I'm ordering all these parts, and is getting a wee tad testy about it. Something about needing to buy Spring clothes for the kids or something. Whatever.

Well, I was in the neighborhood the other day and I said to myself, I said: "Spacers and a chain aren't really worth ordering online, and they're cheap - I'll just duck into the shop and pick 'em up, as long as I'm here anyway" I was a bit short, so out came the credit card.

Mother's Day is on the way, and the Better Half has been pointedly remarking on her iPod's rapidly degrading battery performance. So I went on Amazon.com and ordered her a fancy new iPod for Mother's Day.

Well, I realized that the wheelset I want is so expensive it'll be nearly Winter again before I can get it and that's no fun at all, so I said to myself, I said: "If the Light of My Life can get an iPod for Mother's Day, I think a wheelset for Father's Day is only fair!" Speedgoat has my card number on file now - no need to physically bring out the card. How's that for convenience?

So I figure I should be ready to ride by June, with a borrowed fork and, hopefully, borrowed handlebars. Look out world - I've got a new bike and I saved really hard for it!

I'm weak. Weak, Weak, Weak!

7 Comments:

Blogger Gaz said...

Hah! Money pit, baby, money pit!!! How many bikes now?

4:51 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

Uhmm, errr...

Dos Niner makes five?

Heh.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Gaz said...

WHY?!

I sold my Swinger shock. And also finally got paid for some freelance work. Which means what I SHOULD do is take this money, and replace it in the savings account, to make up for the money I took OUT of there to buy an RP3 and a couple other bits.

Instead I just found myself on ebay thinking "$200 for an on-one singlespeed frame? I should get that!"

11:50 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Thanks man.
I don't feel so bad about a $200 pair of shoes now.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Oh my Gawd, someone besides Gary looked at my Blog! Fame and Fortune, here I come! :D

2:40 PM  
Blogger gwadzilla said...

I think I have a spare rigid 29er fork
it is SURLY
heavier than a suspension fork
but
it may be better than marriage counseling

should have bought the rig

what frame did you get again?

that said
I love my karate monkey single speed

11:35 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

The borrowed fork is a Surly - just to test the rigid waters, mind you. If I like it, I'll upgrade to something blingarific. Hand-molded goosedown and krazy glue shaped by blind Buddhist monks or some such nonsense.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home